Friday, May 15, 2009

Lord be good to us, for the sea is so wide and our ship is so small.

Yesterday was the first day of the season for fishing. He sounded more excited about fishing than I have heard him in many seasons; maybe it was the "pep talk" we had after receiving the student's tuition bill, or maybe it was the drawings for a proposed art studio in the back yard or maybe it was just the beautiful surroundings. For whatever reason, I am thrilled! I have to dig way back in the memory banks to remember the excitement that permeates the town on those days leading up to the opener but it was also nice to find a couple of pics in my folders that my daughter took the season before last coming back to town after a successful fishing period. I imagine the weather they had yesterday was equally nice as He said he even put sunblock on!
I think it is about time for me to join Him again. It is such a thrill to see the fish hit the net and haul in the net full of glorious blue and silver salmon. They are such beautiful fish. I never got very good at picking the net but I'm not to old to learn. Watching Him do this job He is so good at makes me so happy. He is such confident man on His boat and on the water. It is His element. He said he cleaned the boat out good enough for a girl this season so hopefully when I get up there in July it'll just need a freshening up in order to welcome me aboard! I am sure that our girl will not tolerate much of a mess overall so there is hope. I am so excited for her to fish this season. My hope is that now as a pre adult she will look at this season with fresh percpective and see the possibilities in it. She is such a wild at heart girl... and a turd bird... she sure makes me smile!
My respite is almost over. She will be home from her first year of college tomorrow. I am so proud of her growth, her accomplishments, her bravery and her spirit. She inspires me. She also drives me nuts and I am going to enjoy my clean and quite home tonight like you can't believe!



1 comment: