Sunday, May 3, 2009

Do you Librivox?

This time of the year when He heads North to go earn our living we each settle into our own independent ryhthm. Now that the student is away at school I can see that I will have an even different ryhthm on my own. I have already mentally lined up a few after work projects in the work room; I am most excited to finish up my Mother's Day gift. I'll post more pics as soon as it is complete. I have also lined up the next book I am going to listen to in the work room at Librivox. My girl and I are Jane Austen nuts so I have selected "Memior of Jane Austen" by James Edward Austen-Leigh.


If you aren't familiar with Librivox you have to check it out. It is a free site to listen to public domain books. I believe it is all volunteer maintained and recorded. Some readers are more pleasant to listen to than others but there a couple of thousand books available so I always seem to find someone whose voice I enjoy. Their search feature leaves a bit to be desired but if you know titles and authors you can find anything. I really wish you could search by genre. I don't always remember an author's name but I know what type of literature I like to read. Even though I don't know most of the titles when I search through the catalog I am not afraid to listen a bit and move on if I don't like what I am hearing. I'd love suggestions if you know of any good recordings in their catalog!


I love that when I am working away on what ever project whether it be sewing or knitting or doing paperwork at my desk I can also "read" a book. Can't think of a much better way to spend a free afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment